Friday, February 13, 2015

The Benefits of Singing

Ever since I can remember, I have been singing. I'm 26 years old now; that's a long time to be doing anything. So sometimes I forget how beneficial the act of singing can be. This was the subject of a recent question that was posted: "how could singing benefit someone who isn't necessarily a musician or musically-inclined, but loves music?"

I always say that everyone should learn how to play an instrument. The experience is enriching and teaches you many life lessons along the way. I have found myself more alert and attentive when at work, during class, or just doing everyday chores around the house after practicing or listening to music. More focus contributes to better results in everything that you do, and who doesn't want that?

Learning an instrument has also taught me the art of failure--when you make mistakes or fail, you learn from them, improve and move on. This is something that took me a long time to figure out. I talked about in the last blog post, but it really holds true in every aspect of your life. Sometimes, even after I would prepare for months ahead of time for a recital or gig, during the actual performance--whether because of nerves, a mistake made from another band member or forgotten lyrics--I would fail to execute everything that I had planned to do on stage. Afterwards, I would walk away feeling horrible for weeks, not being able to get over the performance. Eventually, I would learn that sometimes you can't plan for everything and that the more experience you gain, the more you learn how to deal with unplanned circumstances, making you less likely to fail in the future. Making mistakes and being aware of them, allows you to either improve what you did before or change your approach completely. The second, third or fourth time around could be better than your original intention.

Discipline is something that also naturally develops when you learn an instrument. I make sure that I try to set aside 1-2 hours a day for practice; it helps to add structure to my day, helping me to feel and be more productive. In that rhythm of practicing, I was able to start setting goals (both big and small) for myself to accomplish. However, just like anything else in life, if you want to see yourself achieve goals, you must put in the time and work necessary to get there. There is no way to skip practicing. After going two days without really sitting down and getting in good practice time, I always feel like I haven't exercised for a week--this is muscle memory, after all. From this ongoing experience, sprouts good work ethic.

Singing, in particular, is also meditative in nature. Practicing breathing exercises--even the simple "inhale and exhale for count of ten"--is similar to practicing something that's done in yoga and meditation classes. I always stretch as well (which is recommended) because if there is any tension in the body, it is immediately heard in the vocal chords. I always walk out of lessons, with my own vocal instructor or my students, feeling way more relaxed and physically loose. If you're anything like me, it's also freeing to just be singing good music, whether up on stage, rehearsal or by myself. 

One of the main things I notice with people who learn an instrument--singing, piano, drums or anything else--is how much more they appreciate music when they hear it or see it being played. After taking voice lessons and studying music during my undergrad years, those scat lines on Ella Fitzgerald tunes seem so much more elaborate, the melodic phrasing of Miles Davis seems that much more profound to me than they were before. My musical taste (what genres I prefer to listen to and what elements in the music I enjoy the most) has changed a lot as well. This is not a good or bad thing; it is all a part of the growing process. We discover who we are when we are exposed to many different types of situations, musical or not. 

Although these are all great reasons and benefits to learning an instrument, especially singing, the main reason why anyone should get involved with anything is because they want to. All of the hard work and time that I put into what I do wouldn't mean a thing if I didn't love singing. Whatever you do, do it with passion and the rest will fall into place. 

1 comment:

  1. You made some very good points that are very exciting. To know music can bring out the best in anyone gives me shivers. From what you said in this post I can see the benefits children would gain from music. How would you like music to be used in grades K - 12?

    ReplyDelete