Monday, February 23, 2015

Projection & Vocal Placement

Have you ever been at a concert, musical or watched a live band perform and heard someone--or even yourself--saying, "I can't hear what's going on up onstage," or "What is he/she saying?" This is one of the many things that I tend to watch for when watching a singer perform live: their ability to project.

My first humbling experience with this aspect of singing was during my undergraduate years, watching many classically trained vocalists fill the music auditoriums with their voices. No microphones anywhere and yet it sounded as though they were a foot away from me. It amazed me how they could have that much power and not even seem out of breath. Although I did not take much of the classical repertoire with me when I graduated (two or three songs at the most), that experience still says with me and the search for how to expand that aspect of my voice continues.

Projection is the ability to control the volume, clarity and distinctness of a voice to gain greater audibility in both musical and non-musical situations. This is a definition that I have heard time and time again and I find every aspect of it to be true. Technological advancement has made the microphone to many singers, actors and public speakers a substitute for projection or vocal power, but I also believe that the microphone can amplify any weakness that a vocalist may have.

Vocal Placement

When developing vocal power or projection, it is important to understand how to place your voice to create a big, bright sound when singing. Good vocal placement can be identified by performing the simple task of humming. Humming allows you to feel where the sound that your producing is resonating or vibrating, whether that is in your cheeks, nose, nasal area or mouth. When practicing this exercise, focus on trying to form the sound into a more pointed, forward direction.

You can also try the exercise of "throwing" your voice. Imagine that you are across the street somewhere and you see your brother or sister walking on the other side. You want to grab their attention so you have to be loud, but you also don't want to scare them away so you can't scream either ( I wouldn't recommend screaming for singers anyway because you can really damage your vocal chords). I usually call this exercise "hey" and I tend to use it when my dogs are getting into trouble. Attach the word "hey" to the sound that you make while you are doing this exercise. The "h" on the beginning of the word, "hey", acts as a spring board mechanism to help you get more sound without physically straining your voice.

Belting

This is something that I myself have done in the past. Belting is singing higher notes in your own vocal range that are in a lower vocal position, usually using the middle voice with a relaxed jaw and throat. This differs for everyone though; what I consider a high note may not be high for the singer next to me who is a soprano. The sound that is produced usually feels and sounds heavier and is slightly grittier, to both the singer and audience.

Since this is a more difficult technique to perform, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is a beginning singer. This aspect of singing takes years to perfect and sometimes, even the experienced ones don't execute it properly all of the time. Anyone can seriously strain or damage their vocal chords if they don't have a vocal instructor who can pinpoint bad singing habits before attempting this technique.

Other Factors

It is also important to remember to practice and incorporate all other elements of proper vocal technique when attempting to improve vocal projection. Becoming conscious of your diaphragm, developing diaphragm strength, knowing your own vocal range and the dynamics of your own voice play huge factors in the usage of vocal projection. Failure to work on all of these different aspects can result in the straining or damage of your vocal chords and/ or throat. You have to remember that the voice is a very delicate instrument.

One other thing that must be stressed is knowing when to utilize vocal projection and when not to. I have met many singers who always belt or even yell when they reach a high note in a song; not knowing anything about dynamics. Practice the songs that you are learning to the point that you know them inside and out. Know where the song sits in your range and what message you are trying to portray to your audience. All of the practicing and experience in the world means nothing if you don't know how to convey messages to others correctly, whether because of wrong pitch, lack of air support or projection. Musicians were not made for playing to the walls, but for connecting to other people, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment