Monday, February 2, 2015

Welcome to the Singing 'Til I'm Blue in the Face Blog

I'd like to welcome everyone to the Singing 'Til I'm Blue in the Face blog. 

My name is Tiffany Guerrero (the one in the picture at the bottom of the page) and I have been studying singing for 20 years, performing in talent shows, musicals and bands. I have studied with amazing vocal instructors and a grammy-award winning producer--all of whom have shaped my musical self and my life in such a profound way.  I have sung Jazz, R&B, Funk, Pop and Latin music, but have also studied some classical music during my undergrad years as well. I have earned two degrees in music and I figured with all of the knowledge and experience I have gained over the years, that I should share it with people. 

 I created this blog specifically because I love singing and I know there are tons of people out there who love singing--either just for fun or on a professional level--and who would like to learn more about vocal performance and technique. Music has always been a communal thing that brings people together,  having the ability to make you feel intense, pure emotions, evoking memories and inciting thought-provoking ideas, creative sparks and sometimes revolutions themselves. The same emotional experience that you get from an Ella Fitzgerald song could be happening to someone at that same exact moment in a completely different country on the other side of the world! I have always felt that the voice is the immediate link to all of this--when you feel the urge to whisper, shout or sing, the body's response is instantaneous. It is the most intimate of instruments and leaves us at our most vulnerable.  It is also one of the few instruments that immediately lets you know when you've faltered and won't allow you to hide. 

 I hope that this will not only be a place for me to offer tips and advice to others, but for me to learn from all of you as well--be it exposure to different types of music, artists, or even just a new vocal exercise that I've never heard of. People, musicians especially, should never stop progressing. Therefore, I hope that by helping others out there, that I learn more about myself as a person and musician. If you have any questions for me, I will try to answer them to the best of my ability. If I can't, I will find someone who does know the answer and we can all learn together. I offer my thoughts, opinions, expertise and experiences to help each and everyone out there become not only better singers, but more well-rounded individuals. I'd like to think of this more as a forum, even though it is a blog. 

I will also have a Youtube channel linked to this blog that will provide a more in-depth discussion of each topic I post and visual examples for some of the topics (for some of you who are more visually-inclined), whether it is how to hold a mic while singing or how to perform certain breathing techniques.

So. Let's start singing. 





Photo Credit: Brian Ross

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog and your willingness to share your experience. What would be your 10 most important tips for aspiring singers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would you say has had the greatest influence on you as a singer?

    ReplyDelete