Monday, April 20, 2015

The Parmer Soirée & Why There Should Be More Places Like It

This past Friday, I attended a farewell celebration at the Parmer compound in Los Angeles, which is home to the lovely (and bad-ass), Juliana Snapper.  Juliana has been living and teaching vocal lessons there for almost ten years. I had just began taking voice lessons with Juliana over the past year to two years. She came highly recommended by my previous vocal teacher when I was living in San Diego, saying (my vocal teacher's words): "She has ridiculously, crazy good technique and is a very nice woman." She was completely right.  After expressing my interest to Juliana to gain experience in teaching, I began working with her, subbing for her group vocal classes on the weekends and eventually taking on my own class every Sunday.  I have met many eager people who love singing and music and have gained not only teaching experience so far, but have learned some great lessons along the way myself.

When I went this past Friday to the showcase--which actually felt like a jam session/big party for singers or anyone who wanted to get up to perform--it had been my first time.  I had always received emails and texts about others in the past, but there had always been a gig, papers to write or chapters to read for a class.  I'm so glad I put that to the side for this special occasion.  The performance space was outside--a small wooden stage, built by hand with lights and decorations strung everywhere--with a decent sound system and chairs set up throughout the yard so you could enjoy the performances and the starry sky at the same time. There was plenty of food, drink and conversation to go around and the vibe of the evening was so relaxed that you almost didn't think it could be a formal showcase of Juliana's students.  Everyone was so welcoming at this event that if you were shy or if you paused out of hesitation, the crowd cheered you on. No one laughed at others, unless that person was cracking a joke.  It felt like the whole community had gathered to celebrate Juliana and each other.

While conversing with other musicians and lovers of music at the party, my boyfriend, who attended the festivities with me, even mentioned how much he loved the vibe. Being a musician too, he told me over and over again how he wished he had brought some of his percussion instruments so that he could jam with others. Which leads me to my next point.

There should be more places like the Parmer showcase that we attended Friday night. Places, either outside or not, that offer performance space and a decent sound system to plug in different instruments. Inviting everyone and anyone is a great idea because it creates a bigger audience to communicate with, more possible musicians to network with and play with, and allows the local music scene to grow and flourish. I can't tell you how many times I've been to jam sessions where there are egotistical musicians present who don't allow new or young musicians to get up and play. If the aim is to create good music, then what does it matter? You get to experience new musical ideas and approaches while that new or young musician gains experience.

I also loved how everyone at Juliana's celebration brought their own food or drink to share and helped to set everything up.  An atmosphere where everyone chips in with work and food contributes to a more community, group feel.  That type of stuff really makes a difference. If you feel part of a community, you will be more likely to participate in events over and over again.  This is one of the main reasons I am anxiously awaiting the next showcase party at Juliana's. Even though it will be at a different location this next time around since she is moving, I am sure that the loving, laid-back vibe will still be present, along with all of the food, drink, good music and good conversation.

Have any of you ever participated in something that made you feel part of a community? Was it music-related? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment