Monday, April 6, 2015

Performance: The Importance of Conveying Your Message

Performance. The most innate aspect of singing and yet the most difficult. This is something that I myself have struggled with for many years--it has taken me a long time to feel comfortable enough to open up on stage. This is the reason why I chose to write about this topic today. People may think that  being able to sing without any reservation in front of people should come easy to a vocalist, but many times this isn't the case. Vocalists are individuals too; each with their own flaws and issues to work on such as intonation, tension issues, breath control and performance anxiety. Therefore, I feel that it is essential that we discuss some different strategies on how to combat performance anxiety and thought processes to remember when approaching performing songs (that don't involve elaborate dance routines). One thing to keep in mind when practicing and preparing for performances or gigs is that a lot of the fears you experience on stage are only mental barriers that, if left unresolved, can be detrimental to your voice and the way you perform.

Performance Practicing Tips
1. Use a Mirror.
Most of the time the movements or facial expressions that you think are exaggerated and easy to see from a stage, are not. The only way to see how your performance will look in real time will be to watch yourself in a mirror. You can catch nervous tendencies, awkward body posture or movements and facial expression by looking in the mirror as you sing.

2. Record Yourself Performing and/or Practicing
This is like taking notes for a musician. It has all the benefits as the strategy of looking in the mirror, but you can go back later, "studying" further and more in-depth what you think you did wrong, what you did right, what aspects of your performance can be "kept" or "thrown" away. You should also take these recordings to your vocal instructor or tutor, who can really give you better insight on what aspects of your vocal performance you are excelling in and where you need to improve.

3. Go Easy On Yourself
You will make mistakes. Especially when learning new material that you have never sung before. This is all a part of the learning process. The important thing is that you learn from your mistakes (or aspects of your performance that you didn't like), try to practice and improve the next time, but move on. It is not emotionally or physically healthy to be hard on yourself or to develop unrealistic expectations.

4. Think About What You Are Singing/Saying to Your Audience
Try to be aware of the message you are trying to convey in each song you sing. Is it a sad piece? A song about realizing how much you love someone? Or is it am empowering song about loving yourself or standing up for what you believe in? Whatever the message, really think about the lyrics when you perform them. Practice speaking them out loud to yourself, using phrasing and inflection. Draw on your past experiences that you, family members or friends have had in the past. How did those situations or moments make you feel? What were you thinking? If you believe what you are saying or doing, others will believe you to and be drawn to your performance that much more.

5. Perform in Front of an Actual Audience
All the practicing and preparation you do doesn't compare to actually being in the moment up on that stage. You won't know what aspects of performing you really shine in until you are singing in front of people. If you have already started performing on stage, keep doing it. The only way to get better at performing on stage is to do it as much as possible. This helps you discover who you are as a performer.


When I was younger, I always had the most horrible time trying to sing in front of people. I would stiffen up like a board, no emotion on my face and just let the music flow out of my mouth. My nervous tendency was having my hands at my sides, balling my fists up, grabbing the sides of my clothes, be it pants or a dress. Audience members would say I sounded amazing, but I looked like I was miserable and uncomfortable. After some extensive training in front of a mirror, I was able to get rid of this nervous tendency, but I still had a mental barrier that kept me from connecting with my audience when I sang. As I got older, however, I decided to view my performances as conversations with the people in the seats instead of as someone who sang at the audience. By taking this approach, it made me more comfortable to be expressive on stage; as if I was just telling friends an interesting story. I still struggle with my stage presence and opening up when I'm on stage, but I've come a long way from that tense, little girl trying to sing to an audience. You can overcome any performance anxiety issues with enough practice and the right mental approach too. When you tell your friends about the great (or horrible) day you had, you use your hands, your voice rises and falls in volume, you walk around--you are immersed in that day, that story, that message. It should feel just as natural when you perform.

Hopefully this can help you in your preparation and practice for performances. Most of all, just have fun when you sing because the people in the audience came to see you and experience what you have to offer.  So enjoy it!

Feel free to leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment