Thursday, March 5, 2015

#OnRepeat: Celia Cruz

For this week's #OnRepeat post, I have to write about Celia Cruz, one of the most powerful, versatile female Latin singers of our time. There is no specific album to mention because any song that I have heard with her singing in it is pure gold. For those of you who don't know, Celia Cruz was a Cuban born singer who gained attention in the 1950's when she became the lead singer for La Sonora Matancera, a large ensemble or orchestra in Cuba, with whom she toured all over Latin America.  One of the songs that I really like from her time performing with this group is their version of the song, "La Sopa en Botella." Her voice has piercing quality that can cut through any band and her rhythm is impeccable--exact yet seems like it's effortless. 



Another song that I should mention is the bolero, "Esperame en el Cielo." Even with her strong voice, she manages to still evoke intense emotions of love, desperation and sadness. I chose this song not only because it is one of my favorite boleros-- the lyrics talk about a person who loves another so much that they talk about seeing them in heaven when they pass on. Some may think that the vocal technique, belting, that Celia uses for this song shouldn't be used, but it actually fits the genre very well.


I grew up listening to Celia Cruz--she was always a favorite with my parents. I have always been impressed with her ability to improvise both lyrics and melodic lines on the spot. However, I have a new appreciation for her, her performance-style and her music since beginning my studies in my graduate program a year ago. I encourage everyone, whether you are familiar with Latin music or not, to listen to Celia Cruz as much as possible. She is one of the best examples in Latin music to study to help improve your understanding of improvisation and performance. Her energy and charisma transcend language and cultural barriers and she still continues to this day to be the "Queen of Salsa". 







No comments:

Post a Comment