Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Dealing with Constructive Criticism

It's always a great thing to receive compliments about your voice or your performance. However, let's face it, not everyone is going to like your voice. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone has their own musical preferences, just like you or I do. However, being someone who continuously struggles with second-guessing myself, I can understand how hard it is to accept criticism without taking it personally.

Things to Remember When Encountering Criticism

#1: Have an open-mind.
Listen first to what people or a person has to say. They may have helpful insight into how to make your performance and overall vocal technique improve.

#2: Try to realize where that person and their views are coming from.
In other words, try to think of what kind of experiences they have had---musical taste, moral values, education, etc.--that makes them think or react in that way. This is true for everyone, including you and I; so while it is important to make sure you listen to everyone's opinion, remember it doesn't necessarily make their opinions right.

#3: Ultimately, draw your own conclusions. 
You should have an open-mind to criticism, but you also have the right to take from criticism whatever you think and feel will help you improve, not only as a musician, but as a person.

Personal Experience

My first experience with this was back during my undergraduate years. After several ensemble performances, a professor of mine told me that my voice and musical instincts were great, but that my stage presence was slightly sub-par. He advised me to take acting or speech classes to help me become more comfortable performing in front of people. This was what I consider constructive criticism. I knew he was coming from a very genuine, helpful place with no intent to offend. He wanted to see me succeed. Even though I have yet to take any acting classes, I have since made a conscious effort to open up more on stage when I sing. I am forever grateful for this advice and think of it every time I get ready to sing.

The other experience that I had, happened, unfortunately, very recently. After attending multiple ensemble rehearsals, several of the other singers in the group proceeded to call me names alluding to the fact that I didn't dance when I sang. I had only been studying the music we performed in the ensemble for almost a year, so I came to every rehearsal focusing on the music. When the other singers in the group teased me for my "lack-of-dancing", my initial reaction was anger and confusion. I had been singing for many years and I knew I was knowledgeable of my craft, but when they called me those names I felt incompetent. Later, I realized where these people were coming from--immaturity and ignorance--and I knew that this was criticism that I shouldn't listen to. I will admit that ever since this incident, however, I am more conscious of my stage presence and performance when performing this type of music. So I guess I used this negative experience as a tool of motivation to improve myself. In most cases, though, I would recommend ignoring negative or hurtful comments or criticism.

Whether the criticism is good or bad, it is important to remember that it is a part of life. How you react to it helps you grow as a musician and individual. As long as after all those comments have been said, you still are okay with yourself, then you have nothing to worry about. I always like to think that when people criticize, it's because they are taking notice of you. So no matter what, just keep on singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment