Monday, March 21, 2016

#OnRepeat: Etta James' "Something's Got A Hold on Me"

This week, I've had Etta James' song, "Something's Got a Hold on Me," #OnRepeat. I've been listening to Etta James since before I can remember, but I always end up coming back to her music because of her sound and musical taste; she is one of the few singers out there who are timeless to me.

I've written about Etta James before, but just for some of you who still haven't familiarized yourselves with her, Etta James is an American Blues, Jazz, Gospel, and R&B singer. She is associated with the 1960's record company, Chess Records and implemented Soul and Gospel music into her songs; and was also inducted into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame in the early 1990s. Some of her well-known songs are "All I Could Do Was Cry," "At Last" (one I wrote about in a previous post), and "I'd Rather Go Blind."

The song, "Something's Got a Hold on Me," is considered to be one of Etta James' greatest hits, aside from her countless other hit songs. The song talks about a person who has fallen in love with someone and how it has completely changed how they act, think and feel. The song has a doo-wop and blue-sy feel, and is, in my opinion, one of Etta's best songs because it really showcases her full range and power of her voice. She has a great way of manipulating her voice, going from a nasal-like,  bright sound to a deep, powerful quality, all the while having a very distinct soulful sound that you don't find with many singers now.


Take a listen below:


Is there a singer or group that you can't stop listening to? Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment