Sunday, October 11, 2015

#OnRepeat: Nat King Cole's "That's All"

This week, I've had the standard, "That's All" #OnRepeat. I actually first heard it as an instrumental, but looked it up later to find the lyrics because I remembered that it had words (my mom used to play this song a lot when I was younger). 


"That's All" is a song written in 1952 by Alan Brandt and Bob Haymes and was recorded by Nat King Cole a year later. The lyrics are simple, honest and sincere, and the melody is just as simple and catchy. Here are the lyrics from the Michael BublĂ© version: 


I can only give you love that lasts forever,
And a promise to be near each time you call.
And the only heart I own
For you and you alone
That´s all,
That´s all.
I can only give you country walks in springtime
And a hand to hold when leaves begin to fall,
And a love whose burning light
Will warm the winter night
That´s all,
That´s all.
There are those I am sure who have told you,
They would give you the world for a toy.
All I have are these arms to enfold you,
And a love time can never destroy.
If you´re wondering what I´m asking in return, dear,
You´ll be glad to know that my demands are small.
Say it´s me that you´ll adore,
For now and evermore
That´s all,
That´s all.
Below, are two different versions of the song, "That's All"--one by Sam Cooke, and the other by Nat King Cole. This is done to show the differences in personal performance style and the styles, themselves (early R&B and jazz/crooner-style). Both are intimate in their own way, but Nat King Cole has that timeless element to his performance style; one that has kept people listening to his recordings to this day. Take a listen below:



Have you heard a classic jazz standard lately? Who was the musician or group that performed it? Let us know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment