Monday, May 11, 2015

Musical Exposure & Its Importance

I was asked a very interesting and important question by a reader the other day: "How important do you think it is to be exposed to different musics--even those we don't like? How has this helped and should it be something that is taught in common-core curriculum?" Exposure to different things and situations is something that is essential to personal growth.  Music is no exception. 

It Starts At Home

Exposure to different types of music (even ones that we may not be used to hearing or maybe even don't like to listen to) should start at a young age and it begins at home. Parents should be willing to play different styles of music either on instruments themselves, on the radio, computer, C.D., tapes, and take their children to music concerts whenever possible. From as far back as I can remember I was listening to Disco, Salsa, Andean music, R&B, Jazz, Pop, Heavy-Metal, Country, Brazilian music, musical theater numbers, . . . The list goes on and on.  My parents were always very open to different musics and instilled that in me from a very young age.  I also have very fond memories that stem from musical experiences that I had with my parents, which is why I also think that when a family engages in the child's new musical experience, it makes it more fun and meaningful for them.  Just like learning a new language or trying to get used to a different type of food, the process is much easier the earlier you start.  Therefore, this sense of constant musical exposure must take place first in the home.

This also brings me to my next point: exposure that starts at home at a young age prepares the person for when they experience new musical situations outside the home and inside the classroom.

In the Classroom

In the classroom, I believe that during that music class that we all took throughout elementary school, we should be taught how to listen to and appreciate different aspects of different types of music, using musical terminology. Let's face it--not everyone is able to have private, focused musical lessons in the home so the best place and time to learn basic musicianship and music theory is during this class time.  What better way to expose students to potentially difficult material but by using it to learn how to play a classical piece or possibly, a Latin Jazz standard? I also believe there should be an allotted amount of time during class for students to just listen to a new type of music they've never heard of before and discuss it in class. Many would argue that this could be done in college, but I feel like this exposure should happen at an earlier age to benefit the students by instilling a sense of curiosity and musical discipline through practice.

Personal Experience

Being exposed to different types of music at a young age helped instill in me a sense of discipline and helped me discover who I was as an individual and a musician.  My focus and background (music that I've been able to connect to musically and listen to extensively over several years) is in Funk, R&B and Brazilian music. This background helps me when studying or learning other types of music to connect better to those new musical experiences by relating through that already learned musical vocabulary.  I can bring different licks, inflections, lyrical phrasing, and other aspects of performance style from these genres that I know well--or feel comfortable performing-- to create something new for myself and the listener.  It also helps me connect better with musicians who are familiar with the type of music that I'm familiar with, making the process of creating music more fun. 

Musical exposure is something that is essential to musicians because we are always looking for new sources of inspiration everywhere--we are artists, after all. I think the one thing that can be taken from all of this is to remember to always try to be open to new experiences, no matter what.  During my undergrad years, I came across some absolutely beautiful classical aria pieces that I couldn't stop listening to and some Jazz pieces that I found I could only listen to once and never again.  You never know what you music you will potentially love if you never give it the chance and you can potentially grow as an individual and musician from potentially just one random experience.

If you have a musical experience that changed you as an individual, for better or worse, let us know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment